Friday, February 3, 2012

Movie | Pan's Labyrinth | Pass

I finally got around to watching this and thought it was fairly good. A master of his craft, del Toro weaves fantasy and horror together in a bewitching way. But, I found the story to be overtly melodramatic and slightly detached.

The reason I love the Hellboy franchise is because of the wonderful character development and sly humor, neither or which is very prevalent here. Though, the acting was excellent.

The gore comes at the hands of the despot, not from the fantastical creatures the little girl encounters. That surprised me a little. I thought there would be more gore in the latter, but there wasn't. Only in the real world was there really horrific violence, not so much in the other (it's alluded to).

No comments:

Post a Comment