Thursday, November 29, 2012

Movie | Silent Hill | Pass

Somebody (I forget who) recommended this to me a long time ago and I finally got around to watching it. I quit watching after the first half hour. It was just plain bad - who cares what was going on and what happens to the characters? Not me.

Then I started thinking how much fun it was to watch Laurie Holden (The Walking Dead) channel Robert Patrick's T-1000 character. I also read more about it online. I knew this was based on a video game (to which this movie is basically a love letter) and so many games these days are basically movies anyway. After all that, I got a bit more intrigued. So, what did I think...?

I'm not surprised most critics and viewers panned it. The plot unfolds like a video game...in other words, poorly, with seemingly disjointed discoveries and scenes that go on too long. But, if you know how it's going to play, that helps and you don't end up trying to fit it into the typical movie plot pacing.

But, the whole thing was actually kind of interesting. Enough that I'm mildly curious about the sequel. It's actually rather inventive and reminded me a bit of the books and movies by Clive Barker with obvious connections to Japanese horror, too. If you're looking for a gory horror movie that doesn't fit the mold, this one might be your bucket of blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment