Thursday, September 25, 2014

TV | Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) | Pass-ish

So. This gets a better IMDB rating than Citizen Kane, huh? Wow, that's downright tragic and now I'm not only mad, but even more critical of this. It's going to be awfully condescending, but I think that score is a bunch of anime lovers bumping it up...most of whom clearly don't know much about film in general. That's too bad because while this anime centers around another really compelling premise (many of the genre do), the whole thing flops around like a fish out of water with too-common, stereotypical, ridiculously melodramatic cliches. If I had to sit through yet another closeup of a characters eyes squeezing out tears that went on way too long I was going to chuck the remote at the TV. And while there is arguably no acting in an anime other than what the animators draw combined with the voice actors, it was, at very best, terrible. Nobody would ever give live actors the time of day if they did a job like this. Unless it was meant as parody, which this was not.

It's interesting to note that while the makers kept the over-large eyes on some of the characters, they went to great lengths to "Westernize" the rest. It's strange, to say the least.

Obviously, I'm not particularly a genre fan. But, if you haven't seen very many truly interesting movies in your life and want something different or, like I wrote, you're a hardcore anime fan, then you'll like this. I'm afraid it was just not my cup of ocha. Thanks for the loan, Sdub!

No comments:

Post a Comment