Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Best of 2016

2016 was a huge year for me; I watched more than I ever have since starting this tracking blog. As a consequence, I watched a bunch of stuff that won't stick with me. These are the movies and tv shows that will.

Best Drama/Thriller - Blue Ruin
Honorable Mention - Green Room, Cop Car, High-Rise,
Cold in July, 10 Cloverfield Lane, American Ultra, Peacock,
Kill Me Three Times, Inherent Vice, The Guest,
Swiss Army Man, The Equalizer, Maggie, Stanhope

Best Comedy - Life After Beth

Best Western - Diablo


Best Documentary - Andrew Jenks: Room 335
Honorable Mention -David Bowie: Five Years, An Evening with Noel Fielding,
Henry Rollins: Up For It, Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone

Best Science Fiction and Fantasy - Ex Machina
Honorable Mention - Interstellar, Uncanny, Antiviral, Hidden,
These Final Hours, Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead 

Best Family Film - Minions

Best TV Drama - Animal Kingdom

Best New Television Show - Stranger Things

Best Horror Television Show - Channel Zero
Honorable Mention - Preacher, Crazyhead, Psychoville


Best Sci-Fi Television Show - The Aliens


Best Reality Television Show
- Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Best Comedy Television Show - Maron (Season 4)
Honorable Mention - Plebs, Yonderland, Moone Boy, Cuckoo

Best Drama Television Show - Mad Dogs (US)
Honorable Mention - Search Party, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency,
Ordinary Lies, Baskets, The Family, Lilyhammer


Best Adult Animated Television Show - Monkey Dust

These are the outstanding shows that I saw just in 2016, but there are so many that were just merely very good. If you're interested in seeing a movie or tv show on this list but you're unsure if you'd like it or not, talk to me about it and I can give you an indication of whether or not you will. Just because I did doesn't mean you will, of course.

Shows and movies that made the list last year was bumped from this list. That doesn't mean they're not still fantastic and well worth seeing. It's also worth noting that many of the movies that I saw in 2016 crossed genres and it was much more difficult categorizing them, which I think is brilliant. 2017 is already shaping up to be an absolutely outstanding year, with even more genre-jumping.

Comments are welcome; tell me what your "best of" was in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment