Thursday, January 17, 2013

Movie | Dredd | PASs


I read comic books when I was a kid. I don't anymore, but I kept a lot of them. Unfortunately, I bought most of them used and I liked all of the really oddball stuff. No namby-pamby X-Men for me!

Judge Dredd was always one of my favorites. It was British, hyper-violent and hilariously satirical. I was such a huge fan that I even have a rare imported 12" vinyl record by "The Fink Brothers" (who were actually Madness) called "Mutants in Mega-City One" that I love and still listen to (it's called a record, kids, and it plays on a record player!).

After the 80s Stallone fiasco, you could be forgiven for being tentative about seeing this one. Don't be; this is a really good futuristic actioner. All of the elements are top notch.

Was there anything negative about it for me? Yes, somehow, the entire thing comes across a bit flat. For example, Paul Leonard-Morgan's fantastic soundtrack somehow gets lost in the shuffle. It's so good, that it's a downright dirty shame. Fix that by buying it. If you loved the soundtracks of the Tron remake, Outlander, Iron Man and Attack The Block, this is an essential purchase.

There really aren't a lot of surprises here. Don't expect any and you'll have a great time! A must see for gritty action (that has a nightmarish quality to it) fans. Why not make is a double with the Total Recall remake?

No comments:

Post a Comment