Friday, March 5, 2010

Movie | Boondock Saints | Pass

Recently, I was discussing the movie Boondock Saints with someone and thought that I would go back and review it and see the sequel again while I was at it. While the sequel was released not too long ago, I was glad I watched them back to back.

The original is the story of two Irish brothers (played by Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus) who turn vigilante and kill all the bad guys. Basically, it's as simple as that, with a few twists that include their muse, an Italian guy (played by David Della Rocco) and wrapped in slow-mo gunfights and thumping music.

The violence feels gratuitous at times. It rarely gets really, really nasty and thankfully there is some restraint. But, make no mistake, these movies are all about retribution via violence.

The cinematography is not nearly as stylish as some of the movies that it has most likely influenced, like Smokin' Aces, but there is definitely a swagger there.

The plot is pretty predictable with one exception. And that leads me to real reason to watch this movie...Willem Dafoe. I had forgotten what an absolute powerhouse he is in this movie. He's like a supernova amongst some pretty bright stars. He's just amazing to watch, so entertaining and you never know what he's going to do or how he's going to do it. Dafoe is so strong that there's Boondock Saints and then there's The Dafoe Show.

And that's all pretty much the description of the sequel. There are some new twists and Dafoe has been replaced by a woman FBI agent. At first, I didn't like the seemingly cheap way of avoiding paying Dafoe another salary. But, Julie Benz really does an amazing job. Same with Clifton Collins Jr. They both add to the franchise and bring new angles to the goings-on.

Additionally, there are some very interesting cameos by some interesting actors. One performance is notable, the other not so much. I'll leave it to you to decide with one I thought was and which one I thought wasn't. There, a little mystery for you today!

Watching them back to back also shows contrasts between the performances of Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus. In the first, Flanery is clearly the stand-out. In the second, Reedus is. I don't know if that was on purpose or just the way it worked out, but in the second film, Flanery's doesn't seem completely fleshed out and he isn't able to add much that hasn't already been added by Reedus. Also, his face is different enough that I thought he was someone else at first. But, hey, that's what time does to a person! I should talk.

Billy Connolly is great in both. Thankfully, they gave him a bit more to do in the second film and we get to learn a lot more about his back-story.

I like the humor in these two films (the second being a bit more campy), but I still feel that the violence is just a tad excessive. But, I doubt folks feel the same way as me. If you go to a shoot-em-up....uh, that's what you get! And these two movies certainly do deliver. And, with enough style and interesting elements to make they stand out in the genre.

If you liked the first, you will not be disappointed in the second. It's like visiting old friends that you haven't seen in a couple of years.

One and a half thumbs up and a Pass (both the original and the sequel).

No comments:

Post a Comment