Friday, March 26, 2010

TV | Ugly Americans | Pass

I've enjoyed this new addition to the "adult cartoon" genre.

The basic premise is a normal 20/30something dude is living his life in a world populated by monsters. He's dating his boss, who is literally a demon. His roomate is a zombie...

You get the point. It's fun and pretty interesting. The writing seems fairly strong, but I've got to wonder if there's enough to give it legs.

I love the animation. It's got real flair, a dirty and rough quality that I so loved back in the day in underground comics from masters like Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman, Mariscal and Francoise Mouly, to name a few. I hope they don't "clean it up". I find other recent similar genre shows, from King of the Hill to Archer to The Simpsons to Family Guy a bit too sterile.

Which reminds me of another thing I like about this show. Why would I want a cartoon that never wanders from the constraints of reality (like King and Family Guy)? I find that a bit ridiculous and tiresome. Why not just make a reality show then?

A Pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment