Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Movie | Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey | Pass

The KGB...interracial marriage during a time that such a thing could get you killed...a genius creating fantastic inventions in a NY basement...young love...Einstein...classical music, Moog and The Beach Boys...

Sounds like the ingredients for a fantastic fictitious story, doesn't it? You betcha! What if one story had all of that and it was all true?!? That would be a cool movie, I tell you!

And, it is. The true story of Leon Theremin, the inventor of the Theremin - the eerie electronic instrument heard in (seemingly) every classic scifi and horror movie from the 50s and 60s.

Who said that you can't make up great fact? I don't know. Maybe I'm paraphrasing wrong, but this documentary about Theremin's life knocked my socks off. It really does have everything in it...love, sex, fear, murder, sadness, happiness...and everything in between.

The copy I saw of this had Spanish subtitles, which I couldn't read. Occasionally, Russian is spoken and often the people interviewed are speaking thickly accented English, which is very hard to hear and understand. Try to find an copy with English subtitles. It will make all the difference in the world, I think.

To describe it any more would be to give it away, so I'll just leave it at two thumbs up and a definite Pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment