Monday, December 28, 2015

TV | Mad Men | Didn't Like It

My admiration for Hamm just keeps growing, so I thought I'd give this a whirl for a third time. Nope, this show is an extremely slick, highly produced nighttime soap opera that isn't functionally all that different than daytime soaps. If you love that sort of thing, then I can understand how this show is the bomb-diggity for you. But it's definitely not mine, so...no.

The cast is fantastic but the premise and writing is unlikable to the point of being alien. It literally made me squirm in my chair wanted to do anything but suffer through this. I have no doubt that with time and character development, the story gets interesting. But it also seems that it will be so very painfully predictable, with characters back-stabbing and scenario manipulation assured. Personal note to the writers; rampant, illogical sexism and endless scenes of people smoking are not the makings of a great show.

I don't get peoples' tastes. The "greatest television drama ever"? That could be, but I think the folks claiming that haven't seen much of what's out there and we'll just agree to disagree.

Ah, well. There will be no fourth attempt. I tried, it failed and we all move on. Sorry Mr. Hamm, I'll just have to be awed by your other work, of which when I try talking to Mad Men fans about (and I know several), they want to hear nothing about; that's their loss because he really is that good.

If you're a fan of this show, I can see why you'd like it. I just didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment