Thursday, January 7, 2010

Movie | Ink | PassPassPassPASS

A man choses a dark path...shadowy figures watch over us as we sleep...a little girl has gone missing...the Incubus looms...

Every now and then I see a movie that goes right to the very core of my being. This 2009 film does just that, along with a few others (The Fisher King is another). It's just one of those movies that I know that other people aren't going to see and experience what I see and experience.

And that's just fine. It may hit you like it hit me, or maybe not. But it smashed me like a ton of bricks.

Without giving away too much of the plot, this is a battle between two invisible forces that appear as we slumber.

Part fantasy (a la Labyrinth without the puppets/Wizard of Oz for grownups), part martial arts action, part scifi and made on a shoestring, this independent features' plot is superb and slowly unravels.

Starring absolutely nobody you've ever heard of and written and directed by Jamin Winans...not exactly a household name!

The cast, cinematography, soundtrack and production are superb and constantly reminded me that I'm a little bit tired of the same old big budget junk that keeps getting made, seemingly for no reason. There just isn't an executive that really cares or knows what I want and this is a case in point. Apparently, nobody would touch this film so they released it online, where it would break just about every download (torrent) record, driving DVD sales through the roof. Awesome!

Are there some noticeable low-budgie elements? Yep. Get past it, I say! You'd have to be a really cynical nitpicker not to appreciate the amazing job they did with what they had. Especially the lighting. Whoever did that really knew what they were doing. It had a real live stage feel to it.

Although it's rated NR, I would  rate it R. Some language and adult situations (child in peril, some slightly disturbing imagery), but no hardcore gore.

I just can't say enough about this movie. Love, love, LOVED it! There are deeply profound spiritual messages that really hit home for me. On top of it all, it's very entertaining with massive, crushing beauty, genuinely creepy scenes, and it's not terribly predictable. Yes, it's yet another good-versus-evil plot, but what do you want?!?

Still, I know some folks will just scratch their heads. Their loss, I say. As I said to NK before she watched it AGAIN with me, "Everything in the movie has a reason and a place." If you have ADD or only a few minutes to watch a bit of the movie, I say skip it or wait until you have a couple of hours to sit down, watch it completely and a chance to digest what you experience.

Support the makers of this film by visiting their website and donate!

Did I mention I really loved this movie?




  watch trailer 1  |  watch trailer 2 visit website  

No comments:

Post a Comment