Thursday, January 7, 2010

Movie | Resident Evil 3 | Pass

This 2007 sequel is basically a mix of zombie and Mad Max Road Warrior genres. I found it a little slow and predictable, but fun enough visually to keep me hanging on.

At least, I didn't get up off the couch and shamble off, zombie-style.

There really isn't anything new, except a cast that features some newer, more interesting actors that are a little outside their genres, including Oded Fehr, Iain Glen, Ali Larter and Jason O'Mara, who barely has a role - what a waste! O'Mara needs better opportunity to display his acting chops than Life On Mars. It's clear he's an amazing actor. Larter, too. She can play a tough woman just about better than I can think of at this point (and I can think of a couple!). Yet, she can turn it on a dime and be soft, too. Very impressive.

The soundtrack was completely forgettable, which is a crime these days. In the very least, let's get some creepy tunes rockin'!

I would have liked more humor and better lines for Jovovich, too! She's not terrible, but the dialogue they had her saying (while everyone else's was just fine) was downright lame. I think I would have let her actually speak less, to tell you the truth. I can envision her doing the whole movie like a mute Kurt Russell in Soldier. Which reminds me, I need to catch up on what Jason Scott Lee has been up to...but I digress!

Anyway, this is a rather silly addition to the franchise. But, really, what do you expect?

Brains...blah, blah, blah.

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you on this. I like Oded Fehr and Jovovich needs better lines. This movie is pure Resident Evil formula but then again, that what I want and expect from this franchise. Good mind candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I found the homage to The Birds hilarious. Don't know if that was intentional, but it was very funny.

    ReplyDelete