Thursday, January 14, 2010

Movie | Live Free or Die Hard | Pass

Working through the stack of movies recommended by MK, this one was an uncut director's version. I don't know what's different from the theatrical release, but I enjoyed this action packed addition to the Die Hard franchise.

Two things struck me as cool - the resistance to the temptation for utilizing CGI for the stunts (much to the benefit of the film) and a good casting choice. The last isn't really a surprise, as that's been one of the hallmarks of the series.

Based on the paper thin premise of a surly cop who gets in a pickle (time and time and time again!), the simplicity works here. It gives you just what you expect, the only twists being the more than typically interesting bad guys. In this case, it's Timothy Olyphant (Hitman) who is excellent. Cool, calm and considered, I enjoyed his performance nearly as much as Alan Rickman in the original (almost).

Justin Long is a great counter to Bruce Willis' character, playing the hacker nerd. It's a stereotypical character, but he brings that nervous energy to the role that he does so well. It's funny, but not over the top.

Cliff Curtis (Sunshine) is also in this, but his skills are mainly wasted.

I know I'm going to upset a lot of peoples' apple carts when I say this, but why, why, WHY is Kevin Smith given acting jobs? He's awful, just terrible. Please, Mr. Smith, go back to writing and directing.

This was a fun, million bullets-a-flyin' kinda movie. Nothing new was created here, in fact the plot is rather boring, but the action is fast and furious. An action keeper!

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

3 comments:

  1. Right on in your look at this movie. The story line was silly and the plot devices equally so. It was hard to keep quiet when certain scenes came on. I kept wanting to say "That can't happen, come on" but it is a good action movie and take it as that. Pure escapism for a couple of hours. Olyphant is great bad guy and I did like the "Mac guy" as the side kick. Willis is getting a little old to do these movies. His best work I think was in Tears of the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Mike A!

    My favorite Willis movie was The Fifth Element, in all it's campy glory.

    But, not far behind was The Sixth Sense, Twelve Monkeys, Unbreakable and Death Becomes Her.

    Willis has levels, in terms of which of his movies I like, say...four (great, good, average, horrible). And most fit into the first three descriptions.

    -K2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope The Expendables is good. And Red has a heck of a cast. Cop Out just looks horrendous. Both NK and I looked at each other and gave it a thumbs down when we saw the preview.

    -K2

    ReplyDelete