Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Movie | Let The Right One In | Pass

Another excellent recommendation from MK.

This one is a twist on an old theme. I can't say what, because it would be a bit of a spoiler. What you have here is a horror film, but not a Freddie slasher for a the teenyboppers.

Some pretty gruesome scenes pop up in what is also an atmospheric thriller, smothered in silent snow and mixed with a youthful, coming of age, love story with a very dark shadow looming over it (in more ways than one).

This downbeat Swedish film revolves around a lonely, bullied 12 year old boy who falls for a very peculiar 12 year old girl.

That's all you need to know. If you're intrigued by those elements...horror, atmospheric, foreign, slow...you're gonna love this one. If not, see something else.

Marvelous acting, direction, production and cinematography, all from complete unknowns (at least in this country).

I'll have to read the book now, although it may be just too creepy and disturbing for me. Apparently, there are some pretty nasty elements only eluded to in the movie that are blatant in the book. Egads.

That's another thing about this film, it really leaves an impression and a lot to think about. Some things about it are really uncomfortable to think about, while others are the opposite! There weren't too many movies out in 2008 that did that.

Do yourself a favor, don't read the description or talk to anybody about this. I wish MK could have told me less about it, but he needed to do so to get me to watch it. I'll do you a favor and just take my advice, one way or the other!

1 comment:

  1. MK sent me this link:

    http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/let-me-in-movie-poster.php

    Nooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete