Sunday, December 27, 2009

Movie | Avatar | Pass


Here's my two cents on this movie (followed by the nickel version):

Put your sense of reality aside and just let this movie take you away to another place, another time. If you're able to do that, this 2009 action scifi movie will literally blow you away.

Stop now if you haven't already seen the movie - the above is all you need to know.

Having said that...before seeing this flick, I said to myself, "Self, this is a James Cameron movie. James Cameron doesn't know how to make a small movie, so this deserves all of the technology I can find to see it in."

I talk to myself sometimes.

So, I did. Not only did I see it in one of the bigger movie theater complexes, but I also paid for:
  • Imax - there's nothing like BIGGER. That's the American way!
  • ...and in 3D!
Unless you suffer from vertigo, you deserve to see this epic movie in Imax and in 3D. Those are two more ways that you'll be uterly engrossed in the world that Cameron created. The 3D effect is used so superbly, it's amazing. And it's not the typical "Oh no! Here comes an object to poke you in the eye!" -type 3D effect. No, it's more like real life, using the effect to really create a realistic field of depth. For example, when there is an explosion, you start feeling nervous that a burning ember is going to end up in your hair.

The acting, music and all of the elements are superb. Is the plot a tad predictable? Yes. But, it's still sooooo enjoyable, you won't care. There's a bit of everything for everone here, romance, action, plot twists, scifi, eye candy (characters and scenery).

So, what's it about? Without giving too much away, the basic premise is that humans are trying to remove an obstacle from an alien planet to mine the rare and valuable ore that exists there. The problem is, the obstacle is the indigenous people, a tribal warrior race.

I've read a lot about the hidden and not-so-subtle messages in this film. I think that if that sort of thing really bothers you in this film, you might need to find a chill pill.

Anyway, this was a two thumbs WAAAAAY up movie for me! Definitely one of my top 10 movies of the year. Yep, it was that good.

Oh, and after you watch this, do yourself a favor and go rent the 1985 John Boorman movie, The Emerald Forest.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Plot was predictable and getting hit over the head with bad corporate people / good earth worshippers got old but it was a visual tour-de-force

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Review of Avatar

    I just can't get this movie out of my head. Starting with the great story line, incredible special effects and fast action. It warms the heart and makes it beat faster all at the same time. This is a great way to share time with my husband who loves blood and guts type of movies. I definitely don't. This movie made me feel I was living in a magical forest with people that really know how to talk to the trees. This shared experience helps me once again understand why it is so important to save even the most remote life on any planet. Great for all ages over 12 years old. That includes Grandma and Grandpa. - Milly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just WOW!?! Are people SERIOUS?

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100112/en_huffpost/420605

    ReplyDelete